Lookout Mountain Conservancy
Wauhatchie BoulderFest 2023 | Bouldering competition + open-to-all climbing day|All levels|Timed competition|Community event
Partners & Sponsors
Presenting Sponsor: Lookout Mountain Conservancy ~ High Point Climbing and Fitness
Partners: Access Fund ~ Southeastern Climbers Coalition
Sponsors: Ground Up Sales~ Teva ~ Black Diamond ~ On the Road & Off ~ Naked River ~ Rock|Creek ~ CrashPad ~Wanderlinger Brewing ~ Naked River Brewing~Chattanooga Brewing~Burlaep Print and Press~Bad Beard Events~La Sportiva ~Ladies Climbing Coalition~Rock Creek Outfitters~REI~The North Face ~GALIDUART
Get stoked for the third annual Wauhatchie BoulderFest! The competition is an open-to-all community climbing day at Lookout Mountain Conservancy’s Boulders on Old Wauhatchie Pike.
Climb in the first natural urban bouldering park in the southeast while competing in an enduro-style bouldering competition that pulls in community, climbing, and conservation. This is a family friendly event for all levels of climbers; beginners are encouraged to join!
All registered competitors will receive complimentary libations. Food trucks and vendors will be on site. Come and enjoy live music and firepits all with an amazing view of the Tennessee River and downtown Chattanooga.
1. Bring your own water bottle – we will have h20 stations all over the mountain to keep you hydrated!
2. We love dogs! Bring your fluffy friends – leashes are required.
3. We love your friends/family! Bring them! They can hang out for free!
4. You should have received the Boulder Guide PDF version via email as of 11/29 – We will not be providing printed versions this year – Please print beforehand! And if you see Mario the Climber on the mountain – hug him – this is possible because he’s super rad. see attached
5. Raffle tickets for SWAG will be available – Bring cash, Venmo, PayPal, or Debit/CC.
6. Merch – We have Boulderfest merch this year! Same payment options as above – Limited quantity. (Thanks to Burlaep Print and Press! and Faith Bullard of Faith Makes for the apparel!)
7. Parking – We have three onsite lots for parking – overflow is at the foot of Old Wauhatchie and Church Street – it’s directly across from Sanofi (one of LMC’s amazing partners.)
8. Registration will be at the cabin by the gravel lot this year. DON’T UNPACK FIRST (unless you’re in overflow parking) – Register first – Unpack second – Walk the mountain third.
9. GRUB? We will have Celeppe’s Food Truck onsite providing the tacos of your dreams for purchase.
10. All registrants will receive 2 beer tickets at registration.
11. Party - DJ Seppe is back on the turntables to add to the hype and afterparty!
12. Injury – We will have Aaron Scott on site for injury and emergency – Your safety is our utmost priority.
13. Liability Waiver – MUST BE SIGNED AND SUBMITTED AT REGISTRATION IN ORDER FOR YOU TO CLIMB - sent via email.
1835 Old Wauhatchie Pike, Chattanooga, TN, 37409. The event takes place on Lookout Mountain Conservancy’s Boulders on Old Wauhatchie Pike, at the foot of Lookout Mountain. Click here for a map.
8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Saturday, December 3, 2022. See full schedule breakdown below.
Register on Eventbrite, or register on site day-of-event.
We suggest a $20+ registration fee. However, please pay what you can to give back to Lookout Mountain Conservancy. Proceeds benefit Lookout Mountain Conservancy, the land trust that owns and manages The Boulders on Old Wauhatchie Pike.
Registration is capped at 120.
8:00 - 9:00 am: Registration
9:00 - 9:30 am: Welcome and Kick-Off!
9:30 - 12:30 pm: Enduro Bouldering Competition
1:00 pm: Deadline for turning in your bouldering comp scorecard
1:00 - 2:00 pm: Score count, hangout, and chill
2:00 - 3:00 pm: Recognitions and Awards
3:00 - 5:00 pm: Community hangout, beverages, beer, firepits, a food truck, DJ. and good times on the mountain!
Who Should Attend?
Everyone that loves climbing and being outdoors! Are you new to climbing? Perfect, this event is a great chance to meet climbers, enjoy free climbing shoe demos, and learn from experienced climbers on dozens of boulders.
Are you an old-school boulder crusher that just wants to rip a circuit and check out a new boulder field? Awesome, all participants will get a free area guide, and when you’ve torn through everything, hang out, enjoy free beer, and grab some food from the food truck.
Are you feeling competitive? Well game-on then, and bring your endurance! The event includes a bouldering comp running from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. The format is simple: do as many problems as you can in 3 hours. That’s it. 25 boulders and 100+ problems--how many will you take down? Winners will be recognized as follows: top 3 men, women, and kids (12 years old and younger).
After the event we’ll do recognitions then hangout by firepits, enjoy beer and beverages, and an amazing view of the Tennessee River and downtown Chattanooga.
Bouldering Competition Details
Bring a full tank and get ready to stomp on the gas! The bouldering comp is an enduro format. It’s simple: you’ve got 3 hours to do as many problems as you can. There are 100+ problems and 25 boulders. Problems will be labeled on every boulder. Competitors must fill out their scorecards as they go, and get two witnesses to sign off on their ascent. No repeats of problems; problems only count once, then you move on to the next one. Start and finish of the comp will be at the morning Welcome and Kickoff staging area. If you’re doing the competition, you must be at this starting area for kick-off. An event organizer will signal the start and finish of the competition by blasting the air horn. The competition will go for 3 hours, starting at approximately 9:30 am. Competitors must turn in their scorecard at the same event staging area spot by 1:00 pm sharp, or they won’t be scored. Winners will be recognized as follows: top 3 men, women; and kids (12 years old and younger), for boys and girls.
Your four legged friend is welcome if on a leash and under control at all times.
Disclaimer: The accuracy of the information above depends on the information provided by organizers and third parties.